Ensuring you have a qualified sales tax audit defense representative managing your case is one of the most important things you can do to protect your rights and interests during a sales and use tax audit. Understanding the laws, regulations, procedures, interpretations, and auditing practices of the state agency is critical to securing a fair and correct outcome to a sales tax audit.
Minimizing the magnitude of the audit with the auditor should be your representative’s focus. Unfortunately, sometimes auditors do not produce correct audit results at that level. When this happens, your representative should have the specialized experience to manage every stage of the state agency’s administrative appeals process.
To provide quality sales tax audit defense, your representative should be experienced in the following actions (these steps may vary between states):
- Manage all aspects of the sales tax audit to help ensure the audit is completed correctly from the beginning.
- Manage any necessary presentations to the state’s lead audit manager before finishing the audit.
- Timely file all documents necessary to protect your rights and interests.
- Manage the administrative appeals process to do everything possible to reduce the audit findings.
- Represent you at appeals conferences or hearings.
- Research, draft, file, and negotiate refund claims, as they may become necessary.
- Manage all other actions and filings necessary to fully protect your rights.
You need a representative to help you with a sales tax audit or the appeal of a completed sales tax audit. With 30+ years of experience dealing directly with sales and use tax, we are your best choice. We will be a strong advocate for you. And with very competitive rates and proven results, you will be in great hands.